Field System Operator (Full-Time and Internship)
Summary of the Position
Responsible for driving and operating company vehicles and data collection systems to collect good and accurate data of roadways and their features in a timely manner in accordance with company guidelines by performing the following duties. Is accountable for performing tasks in a timely manner and maintaining quality standards when assisting various Production departments while in the Roadview office.
Activities Supporting Data Collection
- Operate mobile data collection vehicle in a responsible manner consistent with training and local laws and regulations
- Operate data collection systems within the vehicle to ensure good and accurate data collection of roadways and their features
- Navigate through unfamiliar areas, sometimes under adverse traffic conditions, all while maintaining strict safety standards and maintaining proper data collection methods
- Assist in route planning through the use of maps and other navigational tools
Activities Supporting Vehicle / System Maintenance
- Provide basic maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle in a manner consistent with company policy throughout the duration of deployment
- Immediately report all accidents/damage/malfunctions to management
Activities Supporting Communication / Reporting
- Work with support representative to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve issues that arise in the field
- Maintain and organize a daily, legible logbook of data collected and submit to Data Collection Technician as required
- Accurately record all relevant project metrics and expenditures while deployed in the field
- Maintain regular contact with supervisor or project team to keep them informed of project status, issues, or significant field events
Activities Supporting Company Success
- Meet established timelines and customer expectations
- Maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times to enhance the company’s image
- Work with supervisor and project team to develop best practices that will lead to better achieving or exceeding project goals
- Sets and communicates challenging and measurable goals that align with corporate strategies
- Integrates and aligns work across functions
- Develops and executes plans to achieve results
- Considers financial and operational impact in decisions
- Makes sound decisions balancing the short and long term strategic goals
- Achieves desired results
- Logically and simply conveys ideas clearly and verbally and in writing
- Communicates information in a logical and sequential manner to aid understanding
- Ensures that regular communication occurs based on the needs of the project or the individual
- Clarifies the meaning and intent of others’ communication when it is unclear
- Adjusts language to address the needs of differing audiences
- Utilizes strong listening skills to formulate direct, responsive answers to questions
- Effectively communicates complex ideas using analogies, visuals, and other techniques
- Creatively identifies and utilizes effective communication channels and methods
Concern for Quality
- Checks accuracy of own work
- Carefully prepares materials, approaches, and resources
- Follows procedures to ensure quality output
- Uses systematic approach to organize and track quality
- Manages competing demands while striving for quality work
- Encourages people to maintain high standards of quality and thoroughness
- Monitors accuracy and quality of other’s work and takes action to correct mistakes
- Balances attention for detail with the overall timeline for completion
Dealing with Ambiguity
- Avoids jumping to conclusions too quickly or postponing decisions too long in the face of uncertainty
- Identifies and articulates what information is unknown that is important to determine a decision or course of action
- Can change directions and reorient quickly when necessary
- Remains calm in the face of uncertainty
- Can decide and act when the complete picture is unclear
- Accurately assesses risks and options when important data is unavailable
- Is comfortable when things are up in the air and the situation and outcome are unclear
- Helps others operate effectively in pressure-filled, uncertain situations
- Takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required
- Identifies what needs to be done and takes appropriate action
- Takes action without being asked or required to do so
- Persists in spite of challenging circumstances; adjusts focus when it becomes obvious that a goal cannot be achieved
- Seizes opportunities and takes action to take advantage of them
- Initiates individual or group projects and takes responsibility for their success
- Actively works to overcome obstacles by changing strategies or using multiple approaches
- Takes responsibility to develop all steps of a project when the outcomes and circumstances are not well-defined
- Follows through on commitments and agreements
- Respects confidentiality
- Admits mistakes and takes responsibility for the consequences
- Consistently demonstrates trustworthiness
- Maintains confidentiality regardless of pressure from others
- Admits mistakes in spite of the potential for negative consequences
- Takes stands based on principles and values despite personal or professional risk
- Challenges others to act with a high degree of integrity
- Cooperates with team members to build a spirit of unity within the team
- Fulfills commitments to other team members
- Initiates activities and actively participates in decision making processes to achieve goals
- Recognizes the efforts of other team members and values individual differences
- Informs team members of important or relevant information for team success
- Strives to build cooperation between departments and work groups
- Provides others with feedback to help them be better team members
- Understands and utilizes group process techniques to maximize participation and effective group communication
Ability to obtain an advanced understanding of all necessary custom data collection and processing applications within 2 weeks of start date.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Requires 4 year bachelor’s degree from accredited university.
Certificates and Licenses
Valid Driver’s License required for travel to job sites, client and vendor locations within the United States.
Travel Requirement: This position requires 75%-100% travel within the United States of America, via air or road travel in a car, van or truck.
Physical and Environmental Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is frequently, up to 100% of the time, required to sit in a vehicle or at a computer workstation, use hands, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds when evaluating, repairing and inspecting vehicle and system operations while on the road.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus (the ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) and close vision (defined as clear vision at 20 inches or less). The employee is frequently, up to 100% of the time, required to have the additional specific vision abilities required by this job to include peripheral vision (defined as the ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (defined as three-dimensional vision, and the ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and distance vision (defined as clear vision at 20 feet or more, respectively, all while driving a vehicle or being a passenger in a moving vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is frequently, up to 100% of the time, working in a moving vehicle, either driving or operating data collection systems while being a passenger in a moving vehicle, and working in an environment with vibration on a regular basis. The employee will occasionally be working in outdoor conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.